My pick for sparkling wine this Valentine's Day is Schramsberg Brut Rose. It has a beautiful pink hue that basically makes it look like a Valentine in a bottle, and you can find it here in Florida at Total Wine in the $30 price range.
A little bit about this wine, which I happen to be in love with:
- Schramsberg Brut Rosé is flavorful, complex and dry.
- This wine only has 1.15% residual sugar. Most people think this wine tastes sweet, but it is actually the fruity intensity that comes with the skin contact from the Pinot Noir grapes that makes it seem sweet.
- This type of fermentation, with the grape skin contact, also gives it it's subtle color.
- Chardonnay grapes give it spice and structure.
- Following the fall grape harvest, it's created through an extensive refinement process into the spring. (These grapes require a lot of love!)
- The finished blend is aged for about two years in the underground caves at this Napa Valley winery.
Earlier this year I visited Schramsberg and did a tour and tasting. It was, in a word, incredible.
We tried many wines that day, and this was my first introduction to their Brut Rose. It's delicious and can pair well with foods from sushi to desserts, or without a food pairing, on its own. I have a bottle of it chilling as we speak and my plan is to enjoy it with some spicy Pad Thai takeout. I love dining out but on Valentine's Day when crowds are crazy, I think it's better to stay in, cook your own amazing dinner or order in, and get a memorable wine like, this this particular one.
Whether you're toasting this with your spouse of 30 years or with a group of girlfriends, I wish you a Happy Valentine's Day! And if you happen to have a trip to Napa Valley planned, I highly reccomend a tour in their wine caves, it is an amazing experience.